Tuesday, April 27, 2010

13.1

Another half marathon DONE!!!!! It was a great run. This was a much more hilly and demanding course than the one in Lansing last fall. The training was easier this time, well, I guess I knew what was expected and didn't stress as much about doing my EXACT weekly plan. I used a combination this time of my 12 week plan from last time and a new plan that logs more miles. I knew several people who were doing this marathon as well. It was great to be able to talk running with so many ladies at the gym and my brother. Chad and I did several long runs together as well.
At the end of the 12 weeks of training, I had a bad foot and knee. Both were really hurting me. Ice, motrin and rest just wasn't doing it for me after my long runs. I was getting a little worried about it.
Let's just say that I was really anxious the day before the real thing. Luckily my great grilfriend invited me to a playdate at the park to get my mind off the run. I was nauseous Friday morning and just hoping that I could do this AGAIN!!!!
Friday night got me pumped. I picked up my packet and took the kids to their fun run. It was great to see the race excitement start. The kids loved the run and it was nice to cross the finish line.
Chad and Shannon came Friday night and the anxiety was building. I didn't stay up very late and went to bed praying for the rain to hold out. I woke up at 5:15AM and was feeling GREAT. Kellie came to pick up Chad and I and we were off.
The rain held off for the whole run. It was a great morning for a run - cool and overcast.
Brett, Shannon, Matt and all 10 kids met up at the bakery downtown. We would be running by at mile 3 and mile 6. It was amazing to pass all those fans. They definitely gave me something to look forward to.
Chad took off from the start and never slowed down. He is a rock star runner!!!!! Erica, Kellie and I were going to try to stay together. We had a great pace going and were really enjoying the run. We met up and passed a few other faces along the run. At mile 12, I still had energy left and decided to break from the group and run the last mile. They thought I was crazy and off I went. I was feeling like SUPER MOM!!!!! I started getting tired and then Chad was there. He came back to cheer me on. I must have looked tired, so he jumped back in the race to help me sprint to the finish. That was a great moment to have him run in with me. At the end, we all met up and we were so proud of our accomplishment. My time was a little slower (2 hours and 8 minutes) than the first run, but it was a harder course.
Brett let me take a long soak in the tub, grilled a great dinner and made a bonfire for us. The kids were a great cheering squad and I can't wait to do it again. Next time, I am going to work on my speed a little more...
I am resting my foot a little this week.
These donuts were worth the 13 miles!!!
Erica and I
My family. I couldn't have done it without them.
Chad, Kellie and I
Chad helping me sprint to the finish!!!!
ALMOST DONE!!!!!
MILE 6!!!!! It is still fun at this point.
10 of the best fans :) I love these kids!!!!
Mile 3 - still in denial about what is to come.

Chad the runner. He placed in the top 10% of ALL runners!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.