Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fun on the Slopes

Madison getting her ski on.
Madison's first time up the tow rope!
Blake's first time up the tow rope.
Back in the Good Ol' days, Brett and I loved going snowboarding. We actually "met" on a ski trip to Steamboat. Yes, we knew of each other for many years, but hung out A LOT during that trip. We have always wanted to do family ski trips, so this year I was determined to get the kids on skis.

Blake took one lesson two years ago, but this would be their first real experience. I signed them up for a three week long session at Timber Ridge. They were so excited.

The first night they were going up the tow rope. Kids are amazing at things like that. They just fall and get back up and do it again. While I was standing there watching them, I couldn't wait to strap on a board and try out my LONG LOST skills. I think it has been about 6 years since I last did it. Being a little older and more fragile, I must say that I will be a little nervous the first time...

Blake and Madison were in different classes, but on the same hill. They were totally watching out for each other and even talking with each other as much as possible. It is so nice to see your children really care for each other. Blake even helped Madison up at one time :)

The second lesson, I let the kids stay skiing until about 8:00. They said that this was the best night ever. The weather was perfect.

The third lesson was a little more tricky. It was during the huge snow storm and Caitlin was still not feeling well. I told myself that afternoon that we wouldn't be going. Between the snow and Caitlin, I thought that it would be better to just skip it. Then the GUILT set in. Five minutes before we should be leaving to meet Blake at the bus stop, I told Madison that we were going. I haven't seen her move so fast ever. She got herself all dressed and into the truck. Caitlin was still in her jammies under her snow suit.

The bus was 10 minutes late because of the snow - Blake was ready to go! As I was driving (very slow) I looked back and saw poor Caitlin with the most pitiful look on her face. She was miserable. My heart felt so bad for her. She perked up a little when we got there because she never saw the ski hill before. I had to carry her and LOTS of the kids ski stuff. We made it right on time and I sent the two off. Caitlin and I went in the lodge to watch them. She sat on my lap with her night-night (blanket) the whole time. She looked pathetic. I got a lot of looks. I'm sure that people thought that I was a horrible mother with my sick and coughing girl there. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I was happy to get back home that night.

Because there was so much fresh powder, the instructors built a jump for the kids. Guess who wasn't afraid at all ----- MADISON. That girl kept going over the jump with a huge smile on her face. Blake was practicing his turning. The week before, he would just go straight down the hill as fast as he could and hockey stop at the bottom. He was making me very nervous. So I was very happy to see him in more control.

Thankfully a snow day today!!!!! The kids slept in (7AM) and are excited about playing in the snow today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.