Friday, November 18, 2011

Swimmers, Take Your Mark...

Stressed is an understatement at how I was feeling on the Saturday morning of our first swim meet.  Actually, I didn't sleep very well Friday night...  I was a wreck!!!!!  I have done my fair share of gymnastic meets and running races, but this was WAY worse...  These two little sweet swimmers are my BABIES!!!!!!

I had no idea what to expect.  I have never seen a swim meet and we had only done 5 practices before I was handing them over to their coaches to compete.  The coach reassured me that they were ready and that they would do fine.  She even said, "Madison is a BEAST in the water and will do GREAT!"  We didn't even have our competition suits and caps yet.

Brett had to work that weekend, but thankfully another friend of ours rode with us.  Being able to talk with her on the hour drive helped me take my mind off of my nerves - although she was just about as bad as me!!!!  This was her daughters first meet as well.

The kids had an hour of practice before the meet started.  Our kids have never even dove off starting blocks before - we don't have them at our pool.  That hour went by so SLOW...

Madison was in the first race.  She was so cute standing there waiting to swim.  She was the last swimmer in the relay.  She chewed her nails right until it was her turn to dive in...  She did great and had a HUGE smile on her face when it was over.

Blake did three races:  50 yd freestyle, 50 yard backstroke, 50 yard breast stroke.  He finished right in the middle of the pack and showed no nerves at all.  He is just so mellow...  At one point, I couldn't find Blake anywhere.  I actually went up to a stranger (man) and asked if he could go in the mens locker room to see if Blake was in there.  He must have thought that I was a CRAZY mother.  To my surprise, Blake was actually playing in the warm up pool with a few other boys.  He was having a great time...

Madison swam 2 relays, 25 yard freestyle and 25 yard backstroke.  She showed a little nerves, but pure determination in her eyes.

They did great and got ribbons for all their heats.  I couldn't have been a prouder mom.

I couldn't believe how long and HUMID it was.  Poor Caitlin was so patient and a trooper. We did have to take a few breaks in between the races and walk around.  We were there about 4 hours!  We all learned a TON from this first meet and I don't think that I will be so nervous the next time around.  Next one is December 3.

I don't have tons of pictures because I was also videoing it for Brett to watch.

 MCAT Swim Team
 Madison is in lane 4.
 I loved seeing their names on the scoreboards.  This is Madison's time for the backstroke.  She came in SECOND!

 We bought little duckies for a 50/50 raffle.  They entertained Cait for a bit.
Poor Caitlin - she was tired of watching...
Madison is the swimmer on the bottom.  She actually ended up passing the other girl and helped her relay team come in FIRST place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.