Thursday, June 2, 2011

Borgess RUN

Having 3 half marathons under my belt, I signed up for this one knowing that I wanted to train much harder. I wanted to get a sub 2 hour time!!!!! I joined a run camp through the winter. We ran in windy, snowy and very COLD weather. I only finished every run because of my great running group. These ladies are amazing :) As each week approached, we kept getting faster and faster. It was awesome... The long runs were hard, but when we were done, it felt amazing to have accomplished our runs so fast. My body was holding up much better this time around. I didn't have all the foot and knee problems as I have had in the past.

Race day was gorgeous. We couldn't have asked for better weather. We were off. I was feeling great. It went great until mile 9. I actually started to cry. I felt like I couldn't go any more at this fast pace. My amazing friend coached me through it and basically wasn't going to let me slow down. After a torcherous mile, GU pack and gatorade stop, I was back to feeling more my self. We picked up the pace and finished our last three miles faster than the others. It was awesome to come across the finish line in 1:54. 6 minutes faster than we had planned!!!!!!! I think that I need to retire a half marathon race. I don't think that I can go that fast again.

More amazing was Brett. He decided back in January that he was going to run the 5K. He lost 40 pounds and started running. Words cannot explain how proud of him I am. He did a great run and even wants to try another one. I feel horrible that I don't even have one picture of him. My race left before he started and finished after he finished. I am ordering the professional ones from the race for him though. Who would have ever thought that we would be doing races together...

Brett even organized runners from his office and designed t-shirts. My friends supported Brett's office and wore the shirts with me for the first few miles.
Kids Fun Run. The kids were amazing. It was packed and very hard to keep track of the three kids. I wrote my cell phone number on their bibs in fear that I might lose one. I really want them to race a 5 K with Brett and I some day.

They had a super fun warm up for the kids. The girls danced and stretched. Blake thought it was "STUPID".

My final few feet. So happy to be done!!!
I was feeling really great for days after the run. I even came in 17th for my age group (out of 190 women). My name was in the paper the next day!!!
I hope that our family can keep up this healthy NEW lifestyle. I LOVE IT!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.