Thursday, February 10, 2011

Family Ski Day

It was a wonderful day!!!!! We took all three kids to Bittersweet ski lodge today. We also met several other families there. I have not snowboarded in probably 6 years. I was nervous and excited all at once. It was one of those great moments that I have always dreamed about our family doing together, but it seemed that I was always pregnant, nursing, or taking care of a little one --- they ARE all grown up now!

Caitlin was so excited to go to her ski lesson. Her friend was also going to be in her class. It was a lot of work getting all their equipment rented and on. Thank goodness Brett was there this time. While I was getting Caitlin ready for her class, Brett took the other two on the bunny hill. Brett has not skied in several years also. Caitlin was having a very hard time just standing on her skis while we were waiting for her class to start. I was thinking that it wasn't going to go over very well. I quickly told her good bye and took off. I didn't want her getting upset and not doing her lesson.

Brett and I took the other two on the chairlift. Blake and Madison have never done the lifts before and remember I haven't done this in years. I decided to take Madison. I had to lift her on the chair and get myself on it as well. WE DID IT!!!!!! Now the hard part - getting off safely... She thought we had to just jump off the lift in the air. I love their thinking and willingness to try new things without knowing what is going to happen. After I told her that we didn't have to just jump off, she started smiling!!!! We did have quite the dismount though. My board slid around and made her wipe out. OOPS!!!!! I must say that I was glad that I didn't wipe out as well.

Brett took the kids ahead of me and started down the hill. I strapped in the board and started. It was very nerve racking to do my first switch to the front edge, but I did it no problem!!!! It really was like riding a bike. I caught up to Brett and the kids. They couldn't believe that I could actually snowboard. I must say that I was quite impressed with myself as well.

Madison decided to try the lift with Brett. They were right in front of Blake and I. At the last minute - literally second, I yelled to Brett that she needed help to get on the seat. She fell off the lift and then Brett's skis hit her in the head. It was quite dramatic. Madison did much better than I imagined with the situation. I unclipped my board and ran over to help.

I was having so much fun, that I never went back to check on Caitlin. I did think about her a ton, but didn't want to have to stop snowboarding if she wasn't happy. I did start panicking about Caitlin. I sent Brett to check on her. She was actually taking a snack break and we found her in the lodge. She was having a great time and told me that she would see me later. I was so relieved that she liked it. At the end of her lesson, she asked if she could keep skiing. Brett and I swapped time with Caitlin at the bunny hill and taking the other two on the chair lifts. We stayed for a few hours longer. It was a beautiful sunny day. On the drive home, Brett and I were so happy that our kids were finally at the age to start doing fun things like this. It took a long time - eight years- to raise these babies and now it is the FUN years!!!!!!

Did I mention that I got a new board, bindings, boots and coat? They are awesome!!!! I have also got the kids skis and boots from ebay. We are even talking about getting season passes next year. We LOVE being at the SLOPES!!!!!!

Caitlin - my little snow bunny.
Blake is a chairlift pro. He can go up all my himself.
Madison and Mommy
Madison is so athletic. She is a natural skier.
I love letting the kids get started and then come up behind them. That is me snowboarding behind Blake.
Blake and Madison


Caitlin on the wonder carpet

She loves doing the PIZZA with her skis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.